Friday, September 17, 2010

The Decline of BookMooch.com

I signed up on this website a couple years ago becuase I needed to cut down my budget and a considerable portion of it was my impulse book buying habit! 

This was an excellent alternative to buying books because bookmooch.com allows its members to trade books. It works on a point system and once you sign up, you post what books you own and want to give away as well as create a wish list of books you would like to mooch.  There is no cost to join and you only have to pay for books you ship. The more you trade, the more points you collect which you can use to mooch books from other members.  

When I first joined, it was wonderful and I mooched several great books and all of them were lightly used. But lately I've noticed that there aren't any decent books availabe for mooching...at least in the United States.  Every time I search for a book I want, it's not availabe or someone in India has it and won't ship it to me (understandably, of course). 

I still have some great books availabe for mooching on my account and I just mailed three of them last week. Now I have all these points saved up but nowhere to spend them! Maybe I'll just donate them to some charity and deactivate my account...

No comments:

Post a Comment